[pct-l] Pct hike summer 2013

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Jun 7 22:55:20 CDT 2012

Good evening, Chris,

The best conditioning for hiking in the mountains with a pack is to hike in
the mountains with a pack, but any physical conditioning is better than
nothing to develop the cardiovascular systems and some of the muscles.

There can be a bit of a problem with a program that doesn’t heavily
emphasize walking, such as biking or swimming:  Soft tissues – such as
heart, muscles, and lung capacity – develop fairly quickly, while bones
require much longer to adapt to increasing loads.  The lack of foot
toughness is another problem.  Blisters are a fact of life for many new
hikers starting at Campo.  Soft feet don’t go well with hard muscles, a
strong heart, and big lungs.

Another problem early in a long hike is the inability to get a good night’s
rest.  Sleeping on the ground isn’t easy for the long-time bed sleeper.  During
training the hiker probably sleeps poorly and becomes convinced that the
only answer is to invest some kind of fancy – read “heavy and expensive” –
sleeping pad.  What works for me is to begin months in advance sleeping at
home on a carpeted floor wrapped in a blanket in lieu of in a bed.  That
makes sleeping during training hikes much easier.  When it’s time for the
long hike I can spread my 3/8” foam pad on the ground about anywhere and
enjoy the sleep.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye