[pct-l] Tehachapi to Kennedy Meadows

Craig Giffen cg at lunky.com
Thu Jun 7 12:41:41 CDT 2012

I will add that the Highway 58 crossing a highway overpass without anything nearby, hence there is hardly any traffic at the entrance/exit ramps, so you are better off hitching on the Tehachapi/Willow springs road.

Funny Highway 58 story:
The Highway 58 crossing is my metaphorical Manning Park since that is where I finished the PCT in 1996.   I was a bit worried about having to try and hitch here since I knew there would be little traffic.  I crossed the overpass, did my little celebration dance, then noticed a car parked just off the westbound exit ramp.  A guy was outside of his car looking in the gutter, walking back and forth.  I walked up to him and said hello.  He said hello back but was kind of distracted.  I asked what he was looking for.  "My cigarettes, I was out here the other night and lost them".  I asked him if I could get a ride to Tehachapi and he said that was fine...just had to find his cigarettes first.

He found the cigarettes and I got in his car.  It was a fairly new (at the time) Eagle Talon.  We did the usual chit chat.  He started telling me how he fell in love with this girl and she said that if he loved her, "he would turn himself in and do his time, then get married when he got out."  So he turned himself in, did 9 months in prison.  (I never asked what for).  Then it turns out she was cheating on him while he was in the joint.  The guy was completely heartbroken and needed someone to talk to.  I started picturing his leather driver's seat more as a leather couch that a psychologist would use, with me being the psychologist.  He said he can't see her any more due to "some restraining order bullsh*t".

We get to Tehachapi and I said he could drop me off at the gas station since I wanted some hot chocolate.  I went to say goodbye and then he said: "yeah, take care Craig....I'll be fine....you know, it just really hurts, let me quick tell you another story about her...." (then another 10 minutes would pass).  This happened 3 or 4 more times.  We finally parted ways, I got my hot chocolate and went back outside.  Started talking to this elderly man who invited me up to his house for breakfast.  I went up there, he made me a nice breakfast...then proceeded to read me his junk mail as if it were personally addressed to him.

Craig

p.s. Thanks for everyone's feedback on the pctplanner.com beta, it has been a great help!