[pct-l] Oregon Trail Angel Wannabe

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Tue Jun 5 14:38:46 CDT 2012

Hi:

Tell your friend who is 60 that life is just beginning--even
backpacking. I am 60 and just completed hiking the Arizona Trail.
Another woman from Oregon is in her 70's and is doing a section of the
Continental Divide trail right now. I met many older women on the
Pacific Crest Trail in 2010. I completed the state of Washington in
2010. It is a question of "use it or lose it" as far as conditioning
goes--keep exercising because it is harder to get back into shape when
you are older. Lose weight if you have to. Buy lightweight gear to
minimize knee and back problems. Train for the hike with a pack and the
shoes you will wear on hilly terrain or on a treadmill that has a hill
option. There is a group of backpackers in Ashland that are all over 60
years old. They organize overnight backpacking trips for the
summer-fall. I am the youngest of the group at age 60. It seems there
could be something similar in Portland.

Fireweed