[pct-l] New - intro and a question

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Tue Jun 5 09:54:57 CDT 2012

On 6/4/2012 11:44 PM, steve lyon wrote:
> I'm steve, I'm new to the list, and I'm considering hiking the PCT.
> One of the topics I've not seen answered on the website (did I miss
> it?) is timing.  When is the best time of year to start my hike?  I'm
> guessing that April might work to get the best weather along the way
> - true?

Assuming a northbound hike, there are three factors that determine the
best start time:

1) Snow in the Sierra and San Jacinto mountains.
2) Snow in the north Cascades.
3) Heat in the southern California desert.

For most people in an average snow year a late April start will:

1) Get then into the Sierra, and possibly the San Jacinto mountains
after the bulk of the snow has melted.

2) Get them to Canada before the early season snow starts to fall in the
North Cascades.

3) Get them out of southern California before the heat becomes
unbearable and water sources dry up.

The best date to start will also depend on:

1) How much snow has fallen in the Southern California mountains,
2) How fast it is melting,
3) How fast you can hike,
4) How well prepared you are to hike in the snow,
5) When you can get the time off.