[pct-l] Trekking Poles

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Jun 2 12:33:36 CDT 2012

Don't get the anti-shock. It's a gimmick meant to extract money from
you and nothing more. Other than that, I don't think it matters a
whole lot what brand the pole is or what it's made of.

People like the Black Diamond because of the latch locking of the
segments rather than having to twist them closed. The twisting thing
always fails.

I have Gossamer Gear Lightrek 3 which aren't adjustable at all. I've
come to the opinion that most things that are adjustable are stupid
because once it's adjusted there shouldn't be any reason to adjust it
again, so why not just get stuff that fits right the first time.
That's my personal opinion. My poles fit my tent, not me, and I just
hold them at the base of the handles. No big deal. But I'm a nut so
don't listen to me.

Billy Goat traded his poles for bamboo sticks (after his poles were
stolen). I heard he liked the bamboo better. It really matters very
little all the brand names and whether or not you have the "best"
anything.