[pct-l] Trekking Poles

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 1 16:42:31 CDT 2012

Travis wrote:

I'm looking at trekking poles and trying to decide what is best for the PCT.
I've got a bit of a trick knee, so I want to make sure I get the best for
such a long hike.  For this particular piece of equipment, cost isn't a
concern.

I'm a big fan of the "positive angle" or "ergonomic" grip that you can find
on some poles where the grip is canted at a 15 degree angle relative to the
rest of the pole shaft.  It puts the tips of the poles farther out in front
of you where you want them while keeping your wrist in a neutral position.
I highly recommend it.  I also tend to prefer a cork or cork-like grip
rather than plastic/rubber/foam.  Plastic grips are slick when wet from rain
or sweat, and a foam grip will probably wear down too much over the course
of a thru-hike.

Eric