[pct-l] A thank you to the team at Callahan's

thomas Kazmierski kaziertm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 10:14:58 CDT 2012

 Two weeks ago, after finding too much snow to hike through, from Forrester
pass, was forced to backtrack to Lone Pine and eventually was able
to obtain rides north to Ashland, OR, where could start again, this time
hiking south.  About 15 miles into the south bound return hike found that
the snow south of Mount Ashland to still be well over 2 meters deep, soft
and that it totally obliterated the two main roads and the PCT.  Do not
enjoy hiking in that stuff and as the day was starting to turn to night
decided to return back to Ashland.

Was feeling really down, having to admit that being too early on the trail
and not enjoying post holing really limits your options.  So hiked back to
setup an evening camp in a dry spot by Mt. Ashland and in the morning
returned to Callahan's, off of interstate 5, to catch a ride.
Just want you all to know that the whole crew at Callahan's were so
wonderful, very friendly and open.  They did everything to make me feel
welcome.   That experience, like the many we share with trail angels, was
almost worth the hike back.

"Tomas Tortuga"