[pct-l] Bear canisters and duct tape

Pierre pep at pacifier.com
Tue Jul 31 12:53:50 CDT 2012

I have a large bear canister, (Bear Vault) for an upcoming 4 week section hike in the Sierras. I understand that bears often check out the canisters, bat them around then lose interest. I've put some orange duct tape in 1" strips around the top, bottom and sides to make it easier to find the canister in the morning. Will this give the bear some purchase on the canister by getting his nails under the tape such that he may carry the whole thing off? Do they do this? Do I need to spray paint orange instead of the tape? Any other tips with bear canisters with these habituated animals?

Thanks,

Jackrabbit