[pct-l] PCT Hiker Register

Greg Hummel bighummel at aol.com
Tue Jul 31 12:32:51 CDT 2012

Hm, if I came across a trail register in the forest, on public land, or in a Post Office, and freely available to anyone coming by, I don't think I would expect any comments I leave to be private in any shape, form or legality.

The old trail registers are in the PCTA's archives and I and many other old, ancient thru-hikers have been urging them to scan and post, or make available to the public. This same argument came up, one of privacy and we have argued as I have here, that these were recorded on public property, in a public arena, with free access to anyone. Where does the privacy issue come into this? Maybe a lawyer can explain it to me.

Greg Hummel

"I'm afraid of nothing and scared of everything"- GNH