[pct-l] first-come-first-serve permits for JMT

John Hoffman jhoffm at ucla.edu
Wed Jul 25 11:38:53 CDT 2012

Hey,

My girlfriend and I set out from Happy Isles for a JMT thruhike.  (Sadly we had to come off the trail, but made it to VVR.)  Anyways, we went through the same permitting process you are going to.

You need to get a pass-thru permit for whichever trailhead you start at (Happy Isles has 4 people/day they can send back, glacier point has 4 too I think and you can get them from other places like tuolumne, etc.).  Note that they send 4 PEOPLE back per day, not 4 groups.  So if someone gets there before you and has a group of 4, you're pretty much out of luck if your heart is set on one trailhead.

We were first in line and got there around 4:30 AM (late June).  The next people showed up around 5:00 AM so the line starts to form early.  People get there early, but still, I do not think that all of the pass-thru permits were taken for the day we wanted to leave, so I think that as long as you are prepared to get there early, you're probably pretty safe to get a first-come first-served permit.  That might change as we move more into August which I think is more of the JMT season.  Also, they release the permits at 11:00, so bring snacks and/or someone to come relieve you so you can get a break/stretch you legs.

Just my experience.  Be adaptable, maybe be prepared to flip-flop at Tuolumne.  Honestly, the hike out of Yosemite Valley was beautiful, but I wouldn't feel the need to do it again... start early! Do half dome!

Hope that helps!  Feel free to contact  me directly if you have any more questions!

John H.