[pct-l] Oregon snow, Devils Peak?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Jul 23 18:36:02 CDT 2012

Good evening,  AsABat,

That’s a fairly steep, north-facing aspect and it retains plenty of
snowpack.  I went down it in early August last year when there is about the
same amount of snow as this year.  At my age I don’t do much glissading so
I buckled on my instep crampons at the top of the ridge and side-stepped
straight down.  There weren’t many trees or much exposed brush until the
bottom.

The steepest part has only about 300 ft. of elevation change.  I think if I
were SoBo I would take my time and zig-zag up a route that stay away from
anything that looked like a glissade chute .  On top the trail was almost
totally clear, easy to find and was pretty good walking for a while.

Enjoy the hike,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/