[pct-l] Hunting and Fishing

jape1 at cox.net jape1 at cox.net
Mon Jul 23 14:02:20 CDT 2012

I've read of a couple of hikers in past years who have killed and eaten animals.  Mostly snakes and on one occasion, a crow.  Some have carried fishing poles through the Sierra and used them at least once.

I would suspect however, that the time spent in hunting or fishing, and the cleaning and cooking (no fires in a lot of places, remember?) are not sufficient to replace the lost hiking time.  And for the first 500+ miles, outside of the novelty of dining on rattlesnake, the animals to be found along the trail sure don't appeal to my taste buds.  Scrawny, leathery jackrabbits, campsite rodents and plague ridden ground squirrels.  There are all the crows and ravens one could want.

However, in answer to your question, I don't know of anyplace where it's illegal to carry a slingshot or a fishing pole.  As for seasons, licenses and bag limits in California, you can read up on it here:  http://www.dfg.ca.gov/

eckert