[pct-l] IPhone and GPS

Thomas Jamrog balrog at midcoast.com
Mon Jul 16 12:33:36 CDT 2012

iPhone GPS ability has nothing to do with getting a phone service signal.  I have used an iPod Touch ( which is an iPhone without the phone function) with Guthook's apps and they work fine that way.
By the way, this original email illustrates a cardinal rule of thru hiking- don't go out there to test gear- have it down before you hit the trails.
Uncle Tom

"You have to keep the young adventurer inside your heart alive long enough for it to someday re-emerge. It may take some coaxing and some courage, but that person is in you always - never growing old."  Doris "Granny" Haddock, 1910 - 2010, walked across the USA at age 89 to raise awareness of  campaign finance reform.