[pct-l] section P hike

Judson Brown judsonwb at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 11:34:53 CDT 2012

Hello, all-

Just returned from hiking section P southbound with my friend Josh. Began
Saturday night, ended around 11 am Thursday. Did as many as 25.4 miles. Not
bad for a couple of section hikers;)

The only snow of any consequence is in the Russian Wilderness, and only in
two places:

   - from 1603.5 to almost 1604 (I mentioned this in a post from the
   trail). A few smaller snow patches first, then a big one just under the
   ridge crossing. 15 feet thick, steep faces, a bit intimidating for section
   hikers.
   - about 1592.1. Similar to the above, but much smaller and easier to
   bypass. The way around it- or through it- is more obvious approaching from
   the south.

With the week or so of very hot temps they've had in this area, both of
these are I'm sure getting easier daily.

Otherwise, the trail is in better shape than many sections I've done.
Blowdowns are minimal and all easily bypassed. Some moderate brush around
1516.5 up to 1518, but nothing like Chips Cr. or Section OhNo.

Saw ~30 thru hikers during the trip. Can't remember all of the names, but
the first was Carrot and the last was Mouse Trap. If you have any specific
questions about "did you see so-and-so", feel free to ask.

Getting back to the heat... yeah, it was hot, probably 75-80 at trail level
throughout the hike. Nonetheless, the water sources were all in great
shape. Everything listed on Halfmile's maps was there, and a few others
besides. WA1521 is a better choice than WA1521 if you're tanking up for the
13 mile dry section ahead. There were also 2 sizeable creeks in the High
Camp area between Parks Creek Trailhead and Chilcoot Cr. (around 1548.5).

Great trail-angeling from JoAnn. Couldn't have done the trip without her
and Emery. Great people=)

Judson/Bunny Slayer
Bend, OR