[pct-l] Failed SOBO -- where now?

J. Hopkins ic32987 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 16:53:41 CDT 2012

Hi everyone,

Just writing in to say that my girlfriend and I had a pretty rough first
thru attempt near Monument 78. There was a lot of snow, and even with
maps/compass and GPS, it really slowed us down. On top of difficulty
navigating, the snow was soft and slushy, making travel difficult and
dangerous. We pressed on and ended up at high elevation in N. WA after
sunset when it began storming. We pitched our tarp on a pretty sharp pitch,
and waited it out. The next day, after the rain and with high temps, travel
was even more difficult. We hiked back, because after several falls, it
just wasn't worth the risk.

We want to proceed, but away from snow. If we get to Seattle (or any other
big city), where should we head? Where can we meet up with the PCT and not
have to worry about hiking in snow on mountains, and using our ice axes
continuously?

Would truly appreciate any tips on where to go, and an idea of how to get
there.

Thanks much