[pct-l] Newbie - 'alone in the dark' freak outs on the trail

abiegen at cox.net abiegen at cox.net
Tue Jul 10 15:21:23 CDT 2012

Anne wrote:

>I have been field working, and camping and such, but it was always with people,
>or at least in some sort of campground with a few people. Planning to hike PCT
>in 2013 (thru-hike or sections) I know I will be facing the 'alone in the dark'
>overnight on the trail. Well, errr, yes although I am old enough, I feel
>uncomfortable to camp alone, and I admit that I even freak out a little bit. I
>know it is silly, and the experienced hikers out there are definitely allowed to
>have a cheap laugh ;-)

Anne, everyone starts out with those fears. At home we feel that there are so many things and people protecting us while we sleep. In fact, you are much safer alone by yourself in the wilderness. No burglars, no electricity or appliances/machinery to mange your body, no house to come crashing down on you if there is an earthquake, etc. So that just leaves the predators. We've done a pretty effective job of wiping them out on the west coast so they are few and far between. Add on to that the fact that not only do thru-hikers smell awful, they don't taste very good either. I can't remember ever reading of a thru-hiker getting killed and eaten on the trail (although there may have been a few that were packaged and consumed off trail).

Given the fact that the number of thru-hikers this year has doubled over last year's numbers and the popularity of Strayed's "Wild" book and upcoming movie, you will have few opportunities in 2013 to spend a night alone on the PCT.

My own time on the trail has taught me that I prefer to pitch my tent or throw my bag away from others most of the time. I am one of those hikers who gets up to pee a couple of times a night (see the other thread on this topic) so that is less embarrassing if I am by myself. Also no awkwardness of getting up before or after your camp mates, deciding to go ahead without them or waiting for them, and that kind of stuff.

TrailHacker
--
"When my feet hurt, I can't think straight"
Abraham Lincoln