[pct-l] Hammocking

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Tue Jul 10 14:39:55 CDT 2012

Good afternoon, Ed,

About 99% of the area near the trail between McKenzie Pass and Seiad is not
suitable for a hammock sleeper, but 99% of the same area is not suitable
for an on-the-ground sleeper either.  Is it so bad that I have to ignore 15
acres of rocks and brush to find 15 square feet to sleep on?

There are no extensive treeless areas where you intend to hike, but you may
have to hike a half-mile or a mile to find just the right two trees,
depending upon how particular you are.  I start looking for a place on the
ground about a half hour before I intend to camp, and often a ground spot
is more difficult to find than appropriate trees.

North of McKenzie there are miles of unbelievable volcanic rock cover, but
there are also a few trees in little clumps.  I think I’d rather try to
find a place to swing a hammock in that stuff than find a reasonable patch
of ground.

Enjoy your hike,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye