[pct-l] Newbie - 'alone in the dark' freak outs on the trail

Kathi pogo at pctwalker.com
Tue Jul 10 13:38:49 CDT 2012

I had that happen to me when I was a girl scout leader. It wasn't in my
sleeping bag, it was under it. I woke up and felt something funny,
lifted my sleeping bag and their was a rattler. Yikes! It didn't bite me
but it was coiled and ready for business. I also stuck my face about 5
inches from a rattler once that was in my shower when I was at girl
scout camp. I have very bad eyesight without my glasses and saw a lump
in the corner which I thought was a towel someone left crumpled up in
the corner of the shower. I got real close to see what it was and was
reaching to pick up what I thought was a towel when I saw that it was a
HUGE rattler! Fortunately it was sleeping or something and I jumped back
and ran out of the shower and got the shovel to remove it. It was
definitely alive so I was lucky it wasn't in a striking type of a mood.
I've had many more experiences with rattle snakes and fortunately have
never been bitten. Funny thing is I still am not afraid of snakes. I
respect them, but I am not afraid of them. I think those experiences
being so close with nothing happening and kind of observing their
reactions and defenses has made me more understanding of what they
"generally" do when feeling threatened.

Have a great day!
Kathi "Puddles"