[pct-l] Newbie - 'alone in the dark' freak outs on the trail

Lindsey Sommer lgsommer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 13:02:34 CDT 2012

I've had this problem for years, you're definitely not alone. I worked for
years as an archaeologist and have spent many many nights out in various
places, but always with people I was working with. I too am planning to do
as much of the PCT in 2013 (the UCLA school year schedule probably won't
permit a thru-hike), and am nervous about the "alone" thing, and would hate
to have to always rely on having someone else around to make me feel less
nervous at night.

So, here's my solution I'm currently working on: I'm learning AS MUCH as I
can about the plants, animals, and ecosystems that I'm likely to encounter.

I'm planning on taking several short naturalist courses via the wilderness
awareness school in Washington, and will put that into practice doing
shorter trips closer to home. As a woman who loves to hike, I'm oftentimes
more outdoorsy than any of my friends, and I tend to do a lot of solo
hiking. I've found that I feel more at home and more comfortable in the
backcountry when I feel secure in my knowledge and strength to take care of
myself. I'm learning what plants grow near water, what bird calls mean,
what animals like to forge in certain areas and their night time habits.

Anyways, that my current agenda for teaching myself how to be more relaxed
at night (and during the day) when alone. It's yet unknown how much it will
help, but it's certainly worth a try.

Cheers,
Lindsey