[pct-l] Newbie - 'alone in the dark' freak outs on the trail

Mark Liechty mlaccs at mlaccs.com
Tue Jul 10 10:33:12 CDT 2012

On Jul 10, 2012, at 1:42 AM, Anne Estoppey wrote:
> Another newbie question from me, I am afraid.
>
> Nevertheless, what are your experiences (when you were still a newbie) with coping with possible 'night freakouts'?
> How did you deal with this? Was it quickly a solved problem because one is so tired that you just sleep and that's it? Shall I bring a little teady bear with me? Or a little glow in the dark thingie? Are they some 'hiker tricks' that I dont know about yet?
> #######

While I have not hiked the Entire PCT I do have over 500 nights of camping and did happen to stay a few hundreds yards, alone, from the PCT on Friday night (almost a Holiday Inn Express).

When with a group, even 2-3 people, I am far more likely to just throw a mat out than when I am alone.  When I am alone I put the tent up, make sure my food is outside of the tent and confirm there are no widow-makers above my head if the winds did pick up.

There are stats that show more frequent night attacks for people not in tents.  I am not stupid enough to think that the tent walls are super strong but from a visual effect it seems that they do help.

I remember a discussion in the Florida Everglades that the Alligators do not normally jump into the canoes and attack people as they see the people and the boats as one solid big object.    They will, however bite you if you separate from the boat or stick your arm or leg out like an idiot.    Same idea on the trail.

One of my unreasonable fears is that a snake comes into my sleeping bag to get warm at night and then bites me when I roll over on him in the morning.  If I am in the tent and the tent is zipped this is not a problem.

Bears, rodents and Raccoons want my food.  If my food is OUTSIDE my tent than that is not an issue.

I like to have something to read when I am alone before I go to bed.  Maybe not the PCT thru-hikers best use of weight but I am not as strong and good as those that can do a single 2650 mile hike.   I tend to be more of a through hiker.  I hike until I am through .... for the weekend.

Nothing is 100% safe.  The risk of danger is part of why we are in the great outdoors in the first place.  But if avoid the real silly stuff (skip the peanut butter face paint while sleeping on your honey-lined tarp) you will most likely be fine.