[pct-l] PCT near Mts Jefferson and Washington?

Palomino palomino.pct at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 17:49:19 CDT 2012

Re: Russell Creek

If it looks too risky when you get there, try moving upstream. My
experience is from 2007, but maybe it will serve you well.

I got to Russell Creek in the mid-afternoon as I recall and it looked scary
as advertised. After walking upstream from the PCT crossing for ~ 5 or 10
minutes, I came to a spot where the creek split temporarily into three
branches around a couple of little mini-islands. Certainly not a real wide
stretch, but much less narrow. The water was milky in appearance due to the
glacial flour, so I couldn't see the creek bottom, but the flow was not as
intense there as it was downstream. Using my hiking poles to poke ahead, I
felt my way across in water just over my calves...it wasn't bad at all.
Stream beds change frequently, especially glacial stream beds that get
bursts of meltwater, so this year that spot might not be the best. But it's
worth a look.

Re: Snowshoes

Negative IMHO. Poles for sure. Traction devices you have already tested and
like, good idea.

Re: Alternative routes

I like what Steel Eye wrote about the lower route. If the current PCT is
really snowbound and it gets to you, be prepared and be flexible.

Jim Ostdick
Palomino
San Juan Bautista, CA