[pct-l] Tuolomne-Sonora Question

Paul Sears paul.r.sears at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 14:25:34 CDT 2012

I'm planning a solo on CA Section I from Tuolumne to Sonora this fall, and
I wanted to see if anybody could help answer a question.

I just hiked the South Fork Trail down here in Section D, which the PCTA
lists as the official detour for the Tree Frog closure.  On the PCTA
website, it says "not up to PCT standards, not suitable for equestrians."
 In reality, the final 2 miles featured a 6 inch wide trail covered with
piles of loose scree angled out toward the fall line, with the penalty for
any misstep being a 100+ foot plunge over sheer cliffs to your imminent
death below.  The website description was a bit understated in my opinion.

Back to the Section I question.  I typically hike a couple hundred miles a
year, but the above experience taught me that death-defying exposure is
really not my thing.  Does anybody know if Section I has any of these
"understated" situations, where the books just don't really speak to how
gnarly the trail really is?

Much appreciated!

-Mack