[pct-l] Old Station food?

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 14:44:42 CDT 2012

I walked through Old Station on 7/5.

The Hat Creek Store was open until 8pm, but the deli, had closed at
5pm.  Minimal selection at the store.

So as to ensure hitting the following stores before closing (had
nothing to do with shortening my route, no, no, no) I implemented my
own Buck's Lake Alternate and walked the highway (89?) down to the Rim
Rock store (gets no PR from Yogi) which was open til 8pm and has much,
much better selection.   Has some things not found at the next store
mentioned. (10-count boxes of  oatmeal packets, gigantic bananas from
Costo.)  Nice lady behind the counter.

Another .3 miles or so along was that restaurant whose name I don't
recall, has esoteric hours, and was not open.

Just a little farther is the Old Station Fill-up which also has much
more than the Hat Creek Store.  Frozen burritos, which the other two
didn't.  Apparently has some premade dli sanwiches, but they were sold
out.  Owner very cordial to hikers - he'll learn. Talking about adding
'camping' stuff - Heet mentioned. Also open til 8pm.

Just to be clear, as mentioned in another note, the OSFU is not at all
far from where the PCT crosses 44.  The Rim Rock Store is just another
 few tenths down 89 - worth a look, you don't need to do my 89 road
walk to make it distance-worthy.

Special Bonus - there is a visitor center right there on the corner of
44/89.  It has a spigot, great water.  Also a toilet.

Only plus for the Hat Creek Store is the deli - if it's open.

Off topic:  Cache 22 (at road 22), on 7/6, looked like it had not been
visited by the maintainer so far this year.  Lots of empties, with a
few gallons of water mixed in.