[pct-l] Section G in Oregon

Diarmaid Harmon irishharmon at comcast.net
Fri Jul 6 12:28:35 CDT 2012

When are you planning to go? As steel-eye gave you great info on the route I just want to add the snow pack is quite heavy on Hood in this area. A hiker had to be rescued from Paradise just last week as he lost his way in the snow. For the next couple of weeks Timberline to Lolo PAss could be problematic but we are currently enjoying great weather that should aid in snow melt. That brings another point. River and stream crossing will become dangerous the Sandy has a reputation of being a killer. During high snow melt conditions the water may not subside over night leaving dangerous conditions throughout the day. Be aware of flash flood danger in the river basins one look can tell you how devastating this can be, do not hang out in river basins, ice dams can fail suddenly sending large amounts of water down stream. With that said Steel-eye's route is the best the way to go. Eagle creek is hugly popular with day hikers and overnight backpackers and as such it can be difficult to find a camp spot especially near a weekend.
Enjoy your trip and if you need transportation to Timberline I may be able to help.

Diarmaid "Irish" Harmon
irishharmon at comcast.net

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, Guinness in one hand, steak in the other, yell 'Holy Sh**, What a Ride!"