[pct-l] Water Borne Diseases

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Fri Jul 6 11:43:53 CDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Foot Locker <pctfootlocker at gmail.com> wrote:
> My filter is suppose to filter most bacteria such as salmonella,
> cholera, and e coli. Protozoa such as cryptosporidium, and giardia.

Good for you you bought an expensive heavy filter, but unless it has a
iodine matrix it won't take care of viruses, so you would still be
exposed. That is what I used in India and Nepal, where there really
are serious water quality issues.

> I respectfully disagree
> with your pollution being able to be filtered...

The actual point you brought up was pollution from mines, which might
include things like arsenic, sulfuric acid, and mercury that can't be
removed by filtering.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact_of_mining#Water_pollution

Unless you get down to a RO filter, which no hiker is going to carry,
you are not going to be able to remove most problem chemicals by
filtration. Luckily they are not a problem in mountain water

> Water causes alot more problems than you might think
> Brick, its not just third world areas of the world. I realize this
> through actual research.

Wold you care to quote any references to your on water contamination
in the western mountains? You can make stuff up and spout whatever you
want like this is talk radio but you probably wont get away with it
here.

> No PHD, besides my PHD for Post Hole Digging!

That is quite obvious.