[pct-l] Giardia Lamblia - Excellent informative article by Robert L. Rockwell, Phd

Ken Murray kmurray at pol.net
Tue Jul 3 11:03:53 CDT 2012

Got this email:

"Hey Ken, your way cavalier about this no filter deal, socals water
sucks, and most get giardia after sierra city, theres plenty of
tainted water. Plenty of reasons to treat water, heck people treat
there well water up here! I hope you reconsider your lame advise and
post an apology."

Can't tell if this was a troll, but it deserves a response.

I want to apologize to anyone who was offended by my post, advocating
the use of scientific evaluation of risk, and my own experience.

Generally, I would hope that people who are being critical of what someone says
actually reads what they are advocating.  I was writing in support of
Dr. Rockwell's paper.  Dr. Rockwell happens to be a friend of mine, and I've
discussed his paper many times.  The title of his paper:

Giardia Lamblia and Giardiasis With Particular Attention to the Sierra Nevada
by Robert L. Rockwell, PhD

Note that it is talking about THE SIERRA.  It is NOT talking about SoCal.

I am surprised by the posters assertion about all the infections north of Sierra
City, something I've never heard described.  If true, it deserves some attention.
However, inasmuch as I don't believe that "most hikers" get a test for giardia, I
would be highly doubtful that even if they have diarrhea, it is giardia.

Dr. Rockwell does not advocate just drinking anything you come across.  He advocates
"drinking smart", and describes how.

Were I to hike the trail starting today, I'd treat water south of the Sierra, I'd treat
none in the Sierra, and I'd look at the situation in Oregon and Wash.

When I speak on the subject as a physician or as a wilderness ranger, I emphasize that
people should do what makes them comfortable.  I can't see having a person wander
through the mountains worrying about this.

Since it apparently offends some that I don't filter in the Sierra, I'll run right out
and buy one.  That way I can say I always carry a filter, even if I'm not actually
using it.

HYOH.