[pct-l] Marble mountain loop?

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Tue Jul 3 00:32:02 CDT 2012

> Is there a loop hike I could do in the Marble Mountain/Trinity area
> that anyone recommends? 200 miles long or so would be great, but
> other lesser distances might also be okay. Something that includes
> the PCT but also loops off the PCT. Can go as north or south of that
> area as needed. I really liked that area and would like to see more.

Lots of possibilities! - but need a little more input (plus time to lay it out!)...
Do you intend or want to 'loop' (or mostly so) back to your starting point?
Do you want to hike only on trails (& maybe some short stretches of back roads) -
or are you 'up' for including 'some' off-trail/cross-country routes to connect trails?

My first thought was to include PCT 'history' - current PCT 'out' (or 'back') and
also older or original temporary routing 'back' (or 'out'), plus an option to see
a couple of seldom visited lakes...
If you stayed in the Marbles, it would probably be ~110 miles - but you could also
include the Russians (Salmons) and northern Trinitys to easily get over 200 miles.

Let me know a little more of what you're thinking of and I will bury you with ideas!
(I grew up in far NorCal and the Marbles/Salmons/Trinity Alps were my 'backyard'.)
Deems Burton will probably have some ideas, too (if he's not out hiking right now!)...
Maybe we will even share Eric Ryback's Big Ridge campsite location - but it would be
much more rewarding finding it on your own. ;o)

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)