[pct-l] Giardia Lamblia - Excellent informative article by Robert L. Rockwell, Phd

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Mon Jul 2 21:53:09 CDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Judson Brown <judsonwb at gmail.com> wrote:
> I always filter my water unless I'm getting it straight from the spring
> source. It doesn't bother be to carry a filter, and having gotten giardia
> last summer, I would go to ANY lengths to avoid repeating that
> unpleasantness.

The point of the article is that water was not likely to be the source
of your Giardia infection.

While I am not aware of any double blind, peer reviewed studies,
several anecdotal surveys have shown little correspondence between how
fanatically a hiker treats his water, and how likely he is to contract
Giardiasis.  That being said, you can be afraid of whatever you want
to be afraid of.

Probably the best thing you can do to avoid it again is only drink
from sand filtered, ozone treated (Chlorine is not very effective
against cysts) municipal water, then boil it, since the largest
outbreak was from a municipal water system. There are cycsts in the
water in San Francisco too.

And never ever shake hands or share food with anyone else, and wash
you hands a lot.

(all TIC of course)