[pct-l] PCT Southwest Washington

CJ & Cristy Miller soggy2pair at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 2 00:14:47 CDT 2012

I'll be the next to agree with Eric, most emphatically.
The Barlow Pass, or Timberline Lodge (if you want to avoid some elevation) up to the Locks via Eagle Creek is beautiful. Don't let the "downhill" fool you, as it should NOT be considered an easy trek...but oh so beautiful.

And, from Cascade Locks heading North you are pretty much, as Eric mentions, in the middle of nowhere and need some really REALLY good friends willing to come pluck you out of the wilderness.  I was just SW of Mt.Adams a couple weekends ago and the trails are relatively nice, great condition for this time of year. I was, as I often do in that area, just some out-n-back hiking & catch-n-release fishing as there is little option and ease for trailhead connections for drop off and pick ups.

.cj

Kim wrote:

HI there!! My name is Kim and 2 of my friends and I are doing a 3 day stint
on the PCT for the first time (officially). We are starting in Cascade Locks
and plan on traveling north 60 miles.

If you want to start at the Washington state border for some specific reason
(like you're planning to cover the whole state eventually or something) then
that's fine, but if you're just looking for a great PCT section to hike then
there are other choices that would be better.  The first 30 miles from
Cascade Locks northward climbs up to about 3000 feet and then drops back
down almost to river level again, and the scenery through there is ok but
not spectacular.  60 miles north from Cascade Locks puts you basically in
the middle of nowhere.  The closest town would be Trout Lake but I don't
remember off the top of my head which road is the usual hitching location to
get there.

When are you planning to do this, and would you have someone available to
transport you?  A better choice based on scenery would be to have someone
drop you off where the PCT crosses NF-23 southwest of Mt. Adams and head
north to White Pass.  You'll probably find that to be a more enjoyable
section and you'd finish at a major highway.

Another option if you need to be able to hitch on both ends is to go from
Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood in Oregon down to Cascade Locks (take the Eagle
Creek trail alternate at the end).  That's also some nice scenery.

Eric