[pct-l] trail conditions Barker Pass to Sierra City - Hiked June 17th 2012 to June 23 2012

Gideon Scher gideonscher at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 17:04:27 CDT 2012

A very important piece of info about this section - At around 1148 on
Halfmile's maps one summits an ascent to reach Tinker Knob. At the top of
the ascent is a signed junction. If coming from the south, the apparent
correct direction of travel is down the other side towards Truckee. DO NOT
GO THIS WAY!! Go left to reach Anderson Peak (if hiking from the South).
The signage is confusing and the direction of travel appears to be to go
down (I was not the only one to make this mistake). If you go down you will
be very much off-trail!

There were only a few patches of snow on the route. I carried microspikes
but only used them once on a snow slope a few miles south of Soda Springs.
My hiking buddies traversed the slope without any traction devices. But I
would have been very hesitant to do it without the spikes. As always, that
kind of traverse and what you need for it depends on your own ability and
judgement.

Very high winds were encountered between mile 1131 and 1138 though
fortunately they blew from the west onto the slope of the mountain

Enjoy, a beautiful section!