[pct-l] knee injured, a little advice?

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sat Jan 28 13:06:44 CST 2012

It really sounds like a torn meniscus. Even the soccer injury you
described results in a torn meniscus. Good news first : doctors are
reluctant to operate on those now unless the patient complains a lot. No
physical therapy is even required. So healing will be cheap for your
injury. Now for the bad news: It will take at least 6 months to heal or
longer. I would forget about hiking unless a late section hike. If your
meniscus tore on the outside, it will heal faster as it has access to
more blood supply. A tear to the inside has very little blood to help it
heal. Oblique or horizontal tears can slice off a piece... I am assuming
you are poor... the reason a meniscus takes so long to heal is cuz it
doesn't have a good blood supply. A broken leg is generally a more
serious injury but it heals faster. Be grateful that a meniscus is
generally cheaper to heal and does not require medical intervention. You
would need to pay for an MRI to find out for sure. A doctor will only be
able to tell you that you have a torn meniscus. I would like you to see
a doctor but I know what it's like to be poor. To rehab: ride a
stationary cycle and work up to a regular bike in a month or when the
acute pain phase is over. Swimming is your only other option. If you are
young, relax and plan a hike next year. The trail will still be there.
If you are old, it will take a much longer time to heal. A torn meniscus
is one of the most common knee injuries. So swim n cycle, 6 months at
least. Good luck Toga