[pct-l] raingear and umbrella

Mary Davison pastormaryd at msn.com
Mon Jan 23 12:46:56 CST 2012

My experience is that in continued rain everything gets wet no matter what
you wear. At least it does in long rains, especially if it is raining day
after day. (I live in the Northwest and have hiked the AT in very rainy
seasons) Make sure your sleeping bag and night wear are always dry and stay
warm, if wet, and it won't matter too much. Besides rain jacket and rain
pants I like to carry an umbrella. I always get hot when hiking and sweat
(probably contributes greatly to the fact I can't stay dry even under
"breathable" fabric.) If it is not windy I love to hike under my umbrella. I
can then hike with no shirt, just in my sports bra, and stay nicely cool and
mostly dry. The umbrella also protects the majority of the pack, especially
that part next to your back which always gets wet even with pack cover on.
An umbrella is extra weight and no good in wind or if you fall on it. But I
have spent many happy hikes under that umbrella walking coolly up and down
trail.

Medicare Pastor