[pct-l] PCT Community Perpetual Bear Canister Loan Program

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Tue Jan 24 12:22:24 CST 2012

Attention: 2012 nobo PCT thru-hikers...
Announcing the sixth year of the PCT Community Perpetual Bear Canister Loan Program!

Are you on a very tight budget, have limited finances, or coming from outside the USA or
from an area of the country in which you won't have ANY use whatsoever for a bear canister
after your PCT thru-hike?
You may be able to borrow a bear canister for your PCT thru-hike for 'free' (except for USPS
return shipping & insurance)...
The loan program is NOT done on a 'first come - first served basis', but rather on a show of
'some' need, however small, in the borrower selection process...
The loan program is run solely on the HONOR SYSTEM - so please be honest and open
when submitting your request (requests remain confidential)...
Sorry, but the loan program is not set up to serve sobo thrus, long section hikes starting after
Agua Dulce (Hiker Heaven), nor JMT hikers - we do NOT ship the canisters to thrus on the
trail, canisters are picked up in person at Hiker Heaven in Agua Dulce, CA  (most thrus then
buy supplies, pack it in the canister, and mail it to Kennedy Meadows from Hiker Heaven)...

If you think you might qualify for a 'free' bear canister loan for your 2012 nobo PCT thru-hike,
please contact me off-list via email (subject: PCT Bear Can Loan) - and briefly explain your
reason or need to borrow a bear canister for your PCT thru-hike...
Selected borrowers must provide an active (during & after your hike) email address and
phone number, your anticipated start date, and 'planned' ETA at Hiker Heaven...
Selected borrowers must also agree to an informal 'contract' via email before a canister is
reserved in your name and the loan is 'finalized'...
I'll be glad to answer most any other questions regarding the bear canister loan program...

Please don't delay until the last moment to request a canister; we would like to arrange and
finalize all canister loans by the middle of March at the very latest...

Thank you.

Happy trails!!!
Jim "PITA" Payne
(email: enyapjr at comcast dot net)