[pct-l] Marmot Precip

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Mon Jan 23 14:08:01 CST 2012

In 2005 I started on June 10th in Manning and hiked south.  It sleeted,
snowed, and rained a little.  Mostly snow and sleet.  I found I much
preferred hiking when it was below freezing to hiking in the rain.  I
stayed dry and warm, even wearing only shorts.  The first week was
pretty much near freezing with snow/sleet.

When I hit heavy rain and upper 30 degree temps going over the Goat
Rocks my rain jacket, which covered me to just below my waist, allowed
my shorts to get wet.  The water leeched upward to get my long underwear
and primaloft pullover wet.  I got hypothermic and had to quit at 2PM I
was shaking so much, and it took hours and hours to warm up under my 20
degree quilt in the tent...

Make sure your rain jacket  is long enough to cover your butt...  Anyone
know of a good cagoule???

Jeff...