[pct-l] rain jacket

David Money Harris David_Harris at hmc.edu
Mon Jan 23 12:53:00 CST 2012

I'm a SoCal hiker with little experience staying dry while backpacking
through multi-day rain. I'm trying to make sense of the recent threads
on rain gear and how it relates to my gear.

I've been using the OR Helium this winter.  It's appealing in that it
weighs 6.8 oz, packs into a pocket about the size of an orange, and
keeps me surprisingly warm in a hailstorm.  It is made of
waterproof/breathable Pertex. However, the inside has become thoroughly
wet in both rainstorms I've been in.  I don't think it is sweat because
I don't get wet like that while exercising vigorously when it's not
raining. The jacket is clean and looks unblemished. I'm concerned about
the amount of moisture and about getting soaked if I were out in a
protracted storm.

Is it just a fact of life that rain jackets will get soaked on the
inside, or is it a limitation of this model, or somehow user error?  Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

DMoney