[pct-l] dissolving powders and Mountain House

Mary Davison pastormaryd at msn.com
Thu Jan 19 13:12:18 CST 2012

For years I have separated Tang and Cytomax into individual serving portions
for the trail - even used some a year old. They lose their powdery texture
after a while but still dissolve with some stirring. I don't know how it
affects nutritional values though. I was just too cheap to throw it away so
I used it. On the AT in 2007? Barking Spider told me his wife sent him food
drops of the Mountain House dinners from the cans separated out into
packets, definitely more than a week old, and he thought they were great.
After checking out the quantities on the cans though, I decided the way they
got more dinners out of the cans vs the amount actually in Mountain House
packets, especially Pro Packets, was that they reduced the amount actually
calculated for a dinner. So I decided it wasn't as good a buy as I thought
and since the "guaranteed" shelf life after opening the can was listed so
low, I never tried it myself.

Medicare Pastor