[pct-l] Zip locks and boiling water

dicentra dicentragirl at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 20 09:34:42 CST 2012

Somewhere I have a document that discusses the safety of "cooking" (rehydrating really) in zip lock bags. I can't find it at the momment, but I will post it when I do find it. I wrote it up as a handout b/c I get that question A LOT.

Basically, zip lock bags do not contain bpa. And as long as you are using FREEZER bags (and brand name ones) you are okay.   If you are concerned, you can do "freezerbag cooking" right in your mug or pan. You'll just have to deal with the clean up. Not such a big deal.  The bag is reusable if you use that method.

I hope that helps.

~Dicentra

http://www.onepanwonders.com ~ Backcountry Cooking at its Finest
http://www.freewebs.com/dicentra