[pct-l] Delorme inReach satellite two-way texting -- review

Eric Martinot eric at martinot.info
Fri Jan 20 05:52:43 CST 2012

Jim,

All I meant was communicating with friends or family who are *outside*
of a disaster area in which you find yourself (severe earthquake or
storm) to let them know you are OK, and get news from them about the
situation that might help inform your local decisions.  The texts go
up to the satellite from the affected area, and get put on the net or
phone network from wherever Delorme's server is.

(I suppose the equivalent PCT use is if you started smelling serious
smoke on a remote section and wonder which way to head to get away
from it, requesting outside info via text from friends, although I've
never heard of a PCT hiker who got trapped or hurt by walking into an
active fire area, the rangers sweep and close the trail.  I was
nervous once smelling smoke on the trail in a remote area and not
knowing where the fire was.)

Regards,
Eric

[pct-l] Delorme inReach satellite two-way texting -- review

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Thu Jan 19 23:52:26 CST 2012

 > I also bought the device for everyday emergency use, in case of
severe
 > earthquake (where I live) in which landlines, cell service and
 > internet all go down. In that case, I can still easily let family
 > know I'm OK and get outside news via texts.

Sorry, but think about that statement for a moment... If cell service
and internet were indeed both down, just how exactly will your
messages 'get through'? :-/ Happy trails!!! Jim (PITA)