[pct-l] Delorme inReach satellite two-way texting -- review

Eric Martinot eric at martinot.info
Thu Jan 19 20:23:11 CST 2012

In November, Delorme came out with their "inReach" satellite
communicator, which seems like the next generation of SPOT.   It's
expensive, $250 plus $10-50/month, depending on number of texts, but I
decided to try it anyway.  I just set it up and tested it.  It seems
to work well, and would seem to offer completely reliable two-way
texting from anywhere on the trail regardless of cell coverage.

Many people have been using the SPOT on the PCT but as everyone knows,
the SPOT suffers from one-way texts only, and no confirmation that the
satellite received your upload.  The Delorme, when paired with an
Android phone just for the texting app, allows full two-way texting
(to both email addresses and cell phones) plus you get confirmation on
the device immediately that the satellite successfully uploaded your
text.

I tried it out, and found that the recipient can just reply to a text
on their cell and it comes right back to the Delorme device within
minutes.  With email, in addition to the text itself, the recipient
receives a web link to a map  showing your location and coordinates,
plus a reply form that sends a text back.  Sending from the device
took about 10-30 seconds until the satellite picked up the outgoing
text and confirmed upload, but receiving was sometimes several minutes
waiting -- I think you might have to wait up to 15 minutes sometimes
with the device on, to receive incoming texts unless you also send
something, in which case you get any pending incoming texts
immediately.   The Android app itself is simple and clear.  And if the
Android device runs out of batteries, you still have three pre-
programmed texts (plus SOS) to send just from the unpaired device,
same as SPOT.

My only complaint, until I try it on the trail this year, is the bulk
and weight.  It is considerably larger in size than I was expecting.
And with 2-AA lithium batteries it is 8 oz. I think.   And it just
adds another gadget to make life that much more complicated.  One
other thing, you can keep your plan at $10/month for off-season and
then bump it up for free to a higher volume plan during the hike, but
then there is an unreasonable fee to bump the plan back down to low
volume afterwards.

However, daily updates to/from friends, regardless of cell coverage,
potentially including receiving weather and fire info, and being able
to reliably arrange trail-head drops or pick-ups a day or two in
advance would seem benefits that might make the weight worthwhile for
some sections of trail.  (I would not consider it a "must have" for
most sections where there are lots of people around and even a solo
hiker doesn't need an SOS, but definitely good for snowy off-trail
solo navigation where you might want an SOS, or when nearing an active
fire area to get real-time info via text from friends, and maybe for
sections where I might be arranging a pick-up or resupply drop-off at
the end.  Otherwise I'll bounce it along.)

I also bought the device for everyday emergency use, in case of severe
earthquake (where I live) in which landlines, cell service and
internet all go down.   In that case, I can still easily let family
know I'm OK and get outside news via texts.  (With a solar charger for
the Android device.)

For all you iphone users, you're out of luck, it only works with
Android.  (Or a different version pairs only with Delorme's super-
expensive GPS for texting).

Eric