[pct-l] Pot Cleaning

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 17:24:57 CST 2012

I spent a lot of time at Buddhist Temples while I was a soldier in Korea
many, many years ago.  Thank you Uncle Sam.  After the rice pot was empty
of rice at any meal, the monk would pour hot water into the pot and using a
spoon, carefully dislodge any solids stuck to the sides and bottom.
Everyone was poured a tea cup full and it was the final course of every
meal.  That was rice water and it was delicious, always a bit toasty
flavored due to the browned rice stuck to the bottom.  A delicacy.  When we
were done drinking the pot was clean.

I've used that basic method when on trail ever since and consider the
delicious cleaning water as the last course for dinner on trail as well.
So it need not be gross to anybody and has a long history in Asia as a way
of cleaning and a delicious end to the meal.  As long as you don't use soap
on trail, it's like a dinner flavored tea, and a great nite cap just before
passing out.  I don't carry a cloth to do the final wipe, instead using a
couple of sheets of TP or a bit of paper towel which I put in my trash bag.

Shroomer
.