[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 49, Issue 26

Don Amundson amrowinc at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 19 14:54:12 CST 2012

From: ruffwork <ruffwork at ruffwork.com>

I was looking at the price of individual packages of Mountain House freeze dried vs. the #10 tins:
$2 or $3 per meal vs. $6.  Wow!
I got a tin to try it and it says it is only good for 1 week after opening?
Has anyone ever broke down a tin into zip locks and used those?

Just wondering...

ruffwork

I did this in 2009 for the JMT. Individual meals were out of the can in ziploc's for more than
a month (from shipping to resupply points, to pick up, to eating) without any ill effects.  I've had
dehydrated meals that have been in plastic bags that are more than a year old without ill effect or
change in the consistency. Controlling excess moisture is important.  As as experiments with various
food I plan to take I'll package a meal up in bag and set it by my desk to see if anything funky
happens, then plan accordingly. Powders, like gatorade, zipfizz etc. seam to suck in moisture and will
get chunky (though still usable in my opinion). Experiment and go from there.  Manufactuers are
notorious for being ultra conservative regarding shelf life.

Still Lookin'