[pct-l] Ankle Strengthening

Joe Robinson joe at joerphoto.com
Mon Jan 16 01:03:32 CST 2012

> .  Is there an exercise I can do that will strengthen and tighten my ankles enough to carry some weight without fear of a sprain?  Should I wear boots or shoes?  Bob Riess, San Diego

Although i've not yet completed the pct (I'm in the thru-hike class of 2012) I've done over 1,000 miles in the oregon high desert and so-cal loose, steep slopes, all in runners with a pack, and I've yet to experience a single ankle injury, knock on wood.

For the past 8 years, I've been regularly using the bosu ball for balance exercise. Envision a pilates ball, cut in half, with a plastic platform on the flat side. You can turn this ball side down and stand on the platform.  First timers can rarely even stand; they often  need the support of a wall. However, once you get used to the balance factor, you can work freeweights into the mix.  I've worked up to a squat-curl-deadlift combo which seems to work wonders in term of balance and ankle stabilization.

Start off by just standing without support for 3 sets of 30 seconds each on the bosu.  Then work to squats, then to medicine ball squats.

Currently, I use 2, 30# weights, one in either hand. While balancing on the overturned bosu ball, I hold one of the weights in each hand, perform a squat, come to the top of the squat, do a bicep curl, and then push the weights over my head with my arms extended into what's kind of a salute to the sun position with weights.  I hold this 3 sec and repeat, 3 sets of 12, 3x per week.  It's hard.

It's my belief that these balance exercises have kept me injury free for close to a decade.  They are easy to work into my routine, and allow me to stay in hiking shape even though I'm living in LA and really only get to do 20-40 miles of real varied terrain training hikes on the weekends.

Hope that helps!
Joe