[pct-l] Preparation -- Physical Training

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Jan 15 13:08:39 CST 2012

> Preparation -- Physical Training

I decided to hike the trail rather suddenly. I gave notice 2-months
before I planned to start my hike and so I ended up with 6 weeks to
get ready. I went for a hike about every other day in my local
mountains and I tested out carrying my gear and different shoes on
these hikes. I had a desk job and was in fairly decent shape from
riding my bike to work and hiking on the weekends.

I did not find the trail conditions on the PCT to be very
challenging. Sometimes the trail was maddeningly gentle. Nothing on
the PCT was as steep as my local mountains.

What was really difficult for me was the consistency of the trail,
the level surface and the moderate grade. I got really bad blisters
that I suffered with for 700 miles. I rarely get blisters normally.
It wasn't a matter of shoes or socks or conditioning for me. It was
the repetitive nature of the trail. You never give your feet a break
by walking over irregular surfaces and you rarely have to switch
gears for a steep climb or descent. You walk standing fully upright
making the same footfall over and over and over again. The trail will
offer up 10 miles of leaning to one side, causing a massive blister
on the outer little toe. And then the trail will switch sides and
it's 10 miles giving you a blister on the other little toe. I never
did figur out where that between the toe blister came from. I never
had that before the PCT and never since, not even hiking sans-socks
wearing between-the-toe huarache sandals.

The repetitive nature of the trail combined with the blisters caused
me to favor whatever was hurting. This caused me to change my gait.
When that happens, you transfer the stress up the chain, either to
your knees or your hips or your back. It starts a process that I
believe is what causes a lot of problems in the first portion of the
trail for a lot of people. The gait change also transfers energy to
the foam shoes many people wear, causing them to wear unevenly which
reinforces the gait change. I believe the shin splints and knee
problems for many are probably caused by initial foot problems early
in the hike.

So, conditioning yes, but it can still happen to the well-
conditioned. Take good care of your feet. Air them out, change your
socks a few times a day, don't let the easy grade fool you into doing
too many miles at first and avoid gore-tex shoes in So Cal so your
feet can breathe. Avoid being sentimental about your shoes. Get rid
of them as fast as you can if there's any problems at all. Cut them
up with a knife if you have to. I remember seeing nearly new running
shoes in the hiker box in Idyllwild with the heel tabs cut off and
blood inside the shoe. I personally spent one day hiking with a flip-
flop on one foot and a shoe on the other. Whatever you have to do.

Taking it easy at first can mean not just low miles at first but also
taking extra zero days early on to heal foot problems. It's not a
sign of weakness and it really won't slow you down too much. What
really slows people down are the knee injuries.