[pct-l] Preparation -- Physical Training

pshaw999 at cox.net pshaw999 at cox.net
Sun Jan 15 12:14:00 CST 2012

I followed a similar training regimen as Shroomer. I'm also lucky to have a
wonderful training ground on my doorstep with lots of steep, loose dirt
sections that got me well used to difficult terrain. I even hiked up Baden
Powell in the snow a month before I started. I would hike a 10 mile loop
twice a day on weekends and one day I did it three times so I had a 30 miler
under my belt before I started. All the training was with a loaded pack. But
when I got on the PCT I had a deadline to get to Agua Dulce in three weeks,
so I didn't have the luxury of easy days early on. Day one I reached Lake
Morena, Day 2 Mt Laguna, etc. I credit the training with no blisters, no
injuries and I made it to the Saufleys with half a day to spare. After a
three-day break, I finished the rest of the trail - again no blisters and no
injuries. I'm a little older than Shroomer as well.

Having said all that, we're all different. I met some people who had no
training before getting on trail and most of them finished. Only you know
your body and what it needs to get ready.

A final point. We focus a lot on physical strength and stamina, but I think
the mental strength training is just as important. You need to practice
being out hiking for hours on end to make sure you don't just find it
boring.

Peanut Eater