[pct-l] Solar battery charger and iPod

Alden Dale fauxgt4 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 12:37:45 CST 2012

I used a solar charger in 2007 when I hiked that was very similar to this one (one model back... Didn't have USB port then) http://www.envirogadget.com/solar-powered/usb-and-aa-battery-solar-charger-by-powerfilm/

I have to disagree with Paul:
1) I was able to keep a cell phone charged (2 hours talk time per week) a camera (used AA's took roughly 150 photos per day) and an iPod Nano (roughly 4 -8 hours of play time per day) without any work.
2) The solar charger weighed less than 6 ounces + 1 ounce for a AA to USB/cell phone charger. I didn't have to take any additional wall chargers either. For me at the time it was lighter to take the solar panel than ever the 3 charging cables I would have needed to plug them in at towns. It sounds to me like Paul's setup is roughly the same, if not more, depending on the weight of the wall chargers needed in town.
3) no idea about the cost. Mine was $100.
4. While I can't speak to how large this battery that Paul suggest is, the solar panel I used was slightly larger than a pack of cards. The panels were flexible (soft plastic... Couldn't break them, they just bend) and the whole device folded up very small.
5) I think #5 is the same as #2
6) Same with solar. Like I said, I actually would just charge AA's and then plug them into a AA to USB/ phone charger device to charge them. Had my solar panel been lost/stolen, I would have been fine just purchasing AAs.
7) after a few weeks I got a good feeling for how long charges lasted and didn't really need a gauge... I just got a feel for things.

Overall--- I liked the solar panel. It game my plenty of juice for 3 separate devices without a problem. With iPods and devices it's important to look at how much juice they will use. And iPod with a HD uses WAY more power than a flash based (touch, nano, iPhone) one. The smaller the screen, the less juice it uses. The less the screen is on, the less juice it uses. My iPod nano could go for about 12 hours on and get recharged and only use about 1/2 of a 2400mah AA charge.

If you are typing/playing games/ trying to get a cell signal with a device it won't last anywhere near as long. Be thoughtful with your device choice.

From my research, the 2nd gen nano is one of the best for power use. They are light, cheap, use very very little power, and can have up to 8gb storage.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1353#ipodnano2

Anyways. Those are my thoughts. Most importantly, do what works for you! Send me an email if I can be of any more help. I spent about 20-30 hours doing research before I went out on different options for powering multiple devices.

> More and more often I hear that hikers use the iphone for journaling, gps, digital maps, e-mails....
> so they use it a lot... every day for hours?
>
> how do they keep the iphone charged? a little solar device for the big ipod?
>
> I don't have one yet but my brother does. he has to charge his iphone nearly every 1,5 days be using it in a normal way... not for business!
>
> any suggestions?
> thanks robert

I do not recommend solar chargers.  Why you ask....

1) Need the Sun
2) Weight, solar charges commonly weigh about 16 ounces.
3) They are more likely to be lost or stolen (they have to be left out in the open to collect sunlight)
4) They take up a lot of space
5) The cost

I recently purchased the battery New Trent (B002D4IHYM) from Amazon for $50 for a recent test hike in October.  This is a very large battery, about 3.5 inches X 4.25 inches x 0.5 inches and weighs 6.1 ounces.  Prior to hiking the battery lasted 5 recharges when I recharged the iphone when it got down to 20%.  This is consistent with the specifications stating about 3.5 charges for the iphone 4.  This battery is a 7000mA battery and is over kill for carrying on a PCT thru-hike because most hikes last only about 5 days between outlets (or resupply).  But I'm happy with the performance of the battery, still think it is a heavy 6.1 ounces.  I could have purchased a 4000mA battery and saved the weight.

Why I recommend a battery
1) No need for Sun, just plug it in while resupplying
2) Weigh less than a solar charger
3) If they are stolen or lost the replacement cost is lower than a solar charger
4) They take up less space than a solar charger and are more durable (no panel to break)
5) The battery is generally cheaper than a solar charger
6) you can charge the battery in a wall and then safely charge your phone later.  If someone steals or you forget your battery your out only $50 or so and you still have your phone.
7) battery tested comes with a gauge, so you know how much power you have left in the battery at all times.

Paul

hikethru.com
PocketPCT

Sent from my iPad