[pct-l] Wind farms crossing PCT at Cameron Canyon and Kelso

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sat Jan 14 09:05:30 CST 2012

On Jan 13, 2012, at 6:33 PM, Brick Robbins wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Gary Wright <gwtmp01 at mac.com> wrote:
>> A viable business doesn't need tax dollars.  On the other hand there are
>> plenty of dumb ideas that suddenly become reasonable and even desirable
>> as soon as someone discovers that the taxpayer will pay for it--even if
>> no one else will.
>

> Oil, is subsidized, which is one of reasons alternative energy have
> such a hard time being "economically viable"

I didn't suggest otherwise.  Even so, this is an argument to end all
subsidies rather than subsidizing every industry at various rates
dependent upon the skills of their lobbyist.

I'm curious about what 'subsidies' for oil you are referring to though.
Last fall there was lots of talk about ending subsidies to the oil
industry but it was really about various accounting methods that were
applied to all industries.  The proposal was to modify the rules just
for the oil industry.  So it was more like a penalty (relative to
other industries) rather than eliminating a loophole.

The bottom line is that the political system is an incredibly blunt
and easily manipulated instrument for allocating resources.  The
market (i.e. price signals) is infinitely better.

Radar