[pct-l] Weather talk

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Jan 13 15:42:44 CST 2012

Are you saying we don't obsess about the weather enough? I think we
obsess about it too much. First there's Ned selling his courses every
chance he can making sure everyone is frightened to death about the
snow. Then there's Reinhold giving us updates all winter about
"trouble's back in town" scaring everybody about snow. (Not that
there's anything wrong with either, but there's an example of a lot
of obsessing about the weather.) Then there are always questions
about ice-axes, crampons and microspikes and arguments about whether
you need them, should take courses to learn to use them, and whether
ultralighters are under-prepared by carrying the wrong (or no) ice-
axes and microspikes. Then there are always arguments about rain gear
and shelter and whether ultralighters bring it or are under-prepared.
Then there are questions about desert heat and dehydration and
whether ultralighters depend on water caches too much, not to mention
the vicious diatribes against the existence of water caches.

If you think we aren't obsessing enough about start dates and
weather, perhaps it is because start dates usually have more to do
with scheduling around daily life than the weather.

If you think we aren't obsessing enough about bugs and weather,
perhaps it is because on a long distance hike you're going to get
bugs no matter what the weather does and bug protection technology
hasn't really made a lot of changes over the years.

If you think there are too many discussions about GPS and other
gadgets, I agree with you, but I think it has nothing to do with the
weather or lack of concern for it. Besides, a lot of GPS enthusiasts
want one to help with snow, which is a weather-related trail condition.

It's still too early to know how this year's weather is going to
affect the trail. People have hiked this trail in La Ninas, El Ninos,
years of drought, years of flood, years of snow, years of bare rock,
years of epic wildfires and epic wildflowers and yet they somehow
still seem to make it to Canada.

In fact, one really nice thing about hiking a long trail is how you
get to be at one with the weather. It's not always pleasant to be out
in the weather, but you learn a lot, you adapt, you find you are
stronger than you think and weather is just weather, or you go wait
it out somewhere comfortable.