[pct-l] What the weather is telling us

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 11:41:57 CST 2012

Fist off - it's too early to know what you'll get.  Who knows - here in Washington last year, it didn't start snowing until February and then didn't stop until mid May.  The melt usually starts up here in mid April.  Even if the total snow fall is below average, a cool spring coupled with modest snow could result in a snowy Sierra.  Be flexible in your plans.

Like so many things in life, a low snow year is a trade off.

I hiked in '06, a very high snow year, so can't comment directly on the conditions of '07 (as an example of a low snow year).  However, I do know some folks that did hike in '07, both thru's and JMT only.

The advantages of a high snow year are:

 - Plenty of water in So Cal.  There were water sources not even listed as seasonal.  I felt like a chump at times for loading up with water at the known sources only to find a half dozen more unlisted sources within the next 5 miles.  Meh.....better than no water I suppose.

 - No Bugs.  Going though the High Sierra, there were absolutely zero bugs (that I recall) until I was in the Tuoloumne area.  Some friends who tried the JMT in June '07 were eaten alive by the bugs.  I HATE bugs - I'll take the snow over them any time.

 - Scenery.  The wow factor of the snow capped Sierra is amazing.  Comparing photos from 2007 to the ones I took in 2006 (many were taken from the exact same spot) there is simply no comparison - high snow year is WAY prettier.

Of course, the disadvantage is that you'll have to work HARD in a high snow year (but who sets out on a thru hike thinking it'll be easy?).  You'll have to know how to navigate on the snow.  You'll have more difficult stream crossings (it was waist deep at Evolution creek in the meadow in '06, instead of shin deep at the trail crossing in '07 per one thru I knew from that year).

So, the bottom line is:  2012 thru's, be careful what you wish for.  Low snow makes for an easier, if less scenic Sierra, but the price is it might mean you're eaten alive by the bugs and you might not have much water in So Cal.

What ever the conditions, it'll be the best summer of your life.  See you up here in Washington.

TC