[pct-l] Sierra food and start date

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Jan 11 13:46:57 CST 2012

(I realize that this thread has probably been exhausted already, but we are
just getting to our backlog of email...)

Plan your start date based on
- your schedule (especially when rigid things like school or work are
involved)
- how well you know your abilities (how savvy are your wilderness skills
thru widely varied conditions?)
- why you are doing the hike to begin with (for personal-goal-accomplishment
or wilderness absorption)
- the miles per day you want to accomplish (how well do you know your self?)
- when you believe the powder snow will begin flying up north (preventing
you from finishing)
- how many days off you want (often used as schedule adjusters for weather
or town delays)
- how often you will be off-trail for resupply and the time it takes to do
so and come back.

Be aware of challenging conditions that may occur. Many, like weather, can
turn nasty no matter the month, so go prepared. Some change over the course
of a day, like creek levels for safe crossings. Snow is slippery, so know
what you can do on it before you get there. Practice this before your long
hike. Gear can make a difference, but knowledge and applied skills will keep
you safe and make for wise judgments when you're far from help (think early
season).

In our minds, as mountain safety skills trainers, there is only one
parameter that limits a PCT hike's scheduling and that is powder snow. It is
a bear to struggle through as an ill-prepared summer-conditions backpacker,
whether during a late season (May, June, July) or early season (August,
Sept., Oct., Nov.) snow storm. Hypothermia, dehydration, exposure,
exhaustion, and injury come to mind. So, make sure you make Canada before
the powder flies and don't start into the high country before the snow pack
consolidates into the hard surface that is sufficient for snow-hiking (our
timing for early departures out of Kennedy Meadows is May 1st. Mid-April is
possible, but is dependent on the winter and flow of storms in March).

If you are experienced in all the conditions you may face during a hike of
the entire PCT (which you should be before you start your hike) and are
confident with the skills needed to get through them safely and without
worry, then your start date is based on what you know of your self and your
abilities combined with what you know about the route and its challenges.
Don't limit yourself because of a fear of snow-hiking. Lean how much fun it
is and what it takes to be proficient at it. Powder snow is trying;
consolidated, spring snow is a pleasure to enjoy--just do so with wisdom!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150