[pct-l] Contemplating Going alone

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 11 13:36:00 CST 2012

Flo wrote:

I don't want the fact that I'm going to be alone stop me from doing
something I want to do, but at the same time I don't want to do something
stupid.

Starting a PCT thru-hike "alone" is fine.  As long as you start somewhere
during the usual starting window (the end of April, plus or minus a couple
of weeks), you won't be truly alone, there will be many other hikers to meet
and travel with.  If you're really concerned about having companions you
could start on the weekend of ADZPCTKO and you'll have a great big horde of
people hiking with you, which was one of the original reasons ADZPCTKO got
started in the first place.  In fact, you may wish end up wishing for a bit
more solitude.

Most people just show up on the trail and make friends.  Very few people
arrange for hiking partners ahead of time unless it's a significant other or
family member.  It's really hard to select a hiking partner in advance who
will be compatible with the rhythm you'll develop on the trail - it works
much better to start hiking, discover those people who seem to have a
similar rhythm, and get to know them.

Eric